Tuesday 22 May 2007

Day 21 "Mat 6:1-8"

>> Timeless Principles:
v1: God rewards acts/deeds done in secret. If our motives are pure, we won't mind if people don't notice our actions at all.

>> Specific Words:
v1: I need to also focus on what I do in secret or when nobody sees, because it really shows whether I am truly God's disciple. To be consistent (not being a hypocrite), I need to be what I am whether people are around me or not.
Q1:
Religious devotion to God is an honourable position and also can increase their influences and statues before others. Jesus denounced this practice, because it means their motives are selfish, instead of out of love for God and men.
Q2:
- The first time I learned enjoyment in prayer was when I feel pressured and it forced me to keep prayer and be honest with God. As I learned to be honest with God, I discovered that God is a very loving and gentle God. He cares for me (1 Pet 5:7). I remembered the time when I lost words in my prayer and I only can pray in the Spirit (speak in tongue) and worship Him for who He is. And suddenly, He just touched my heart with the assurance that He is with me and He cares, then tears just overflowing in me.
- I have a place where I like to pray to seek God.. I like to go to gardens to pray, coz it helps me to see God's greatness through nature, such as trees, birds and skies. It gives me more peace too. In a room, often I find that the short ceiling seems blocking my eyest to see God's greatness. Another favourite place is of course my room, coz it's where I sleep and the reflection of my being and personality.
- The more I pray, I experience more public victory coz I rise up in faith after prayer.
Q3:
God encourages me to not just focus on what I need to do before men, though often it's not to glorify myself but out of my commitment as God's disciples. He also wants me to focus on what I do in secret. I need to live up according to what I teach (Jam 3:1, 1 Cor 9:27).

>> Applications:
- Be consistent in the way I live, with or without people around me.
- Be prayerful as private victory will lead to public victory.

>> Spiritual experiences:
- This morning I asked God to help me to have more self control. I was asking God for the verses about self control that I can memorise. Just as I do this devotional, I discovered great verses, 1 Pet 5:8-11, exactly what I need. Initially I'd just like to read 1 Pet 5:7, but somehow my eyes saw 1 Pet 5:8, so Praise God!!!! He answers my prayer very quickly.
- At the prayer meeting tonite, Andy (WL) sang Great & Mighty is He, Awesome in this place, How great is our God, Mighty to save. It seemed that God wanted to reveal Himself to ppl that He is great. I was amazed, coz earlier in the aft as I seek God personally, I felt like declare His greatness and might too. I sang I lift your name on high, How great Thou Art, What a mighty God we serve. I was glad that I can be flowing with God's Spirit. It's very encouraging to know that God is close to me.

No comments: